Asenqua Tech is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Has your Settings icon disappeared mysteriously and you are unsure where it went? Well, since the Settings app is a system app that can not really be uninstalled, it is highly likely that only the icon has been removed from the screen but the app still exists in your app drawer. Thus, for your question ‘Where did my settings icon go’, the answer is ‘It’s removed but the Settings application remains intact’.
Now that you have your answer, let us look at a few possible fixes for getting the Settings icon back on your phone (both iPhone or Android).
Before all that, let us understand why your Settings icon disappeared in the first place.
Why did my Settings icon disappear [Android & iPhone]?
Here are some reasons why the Settings icon on your Android or iPhone disappeared without you purposely removing it:
1. Accidentally removing the icon
It is possible that you accidentally removed the Settings icon from your device. It could be a misplaced swipe of the finger or your phone freezing and misbehaving, in the attempt of which you accidentally removed the icon from your Android or iOS screen.
2. Jailbreak or Root failure:
If you had been recently trying to root your phone or jailbreak your iOS system, and the process was interrupted in some way or the other causing failure to the root or jailbreak, it is possible for the phone to not function properly.
One of the malfunctioning could cause the Settings icon on your phone to disappear, amongst other icons.
3. iOS or Android upgrade
In case of the Settings icon disappearing after the most recent iOS or Android upgrade, the culprit behind the missing icon could be the upgrade. If there is a bug in the upgrade or if the upgrade is not installed properly, it is possible that it could somehow cause the Settings icon to disappear.
4. Virus attack
Let’s face it. A virus attack could do more than just make your phone’s Settings icon disappear. If you recently visited an unsafe or spam website, downloaded pirated content, etc., it is possible for your phone to be vulnerable to virus attacks. A virus attack can not only make your Settings icon disappear but also delete the complete app, itself.
5. Unknown error
If none of the reasons are behind your phone’s Settings icon disappearing, the last possibility is that an unknown or miscellaneous error caused the disappearance of your Settings icon.
How to get back the Settings icon on Android?
Below we have discussed how you can get back the Settings icon on Android.
1. Re-add the missing icon to your home screen
- Navigate to your home screen and select the menu option.
- System settings should appear on the list; select it.
- It should lead you to your environment’s settings
- Go back to your home screen and select the app drawer icon ( the icon than takes you to where all your apps are listed)
- Locate settings and drag it to the location where you want its icon to appear.
- If settings isn’t listed in the app drawer, make a backup of your phone’s data and restore it to factory settings.
- Install a third-party settings app if the problem persists.
If you have a TECNO or Infinix phone, the procedure is reversed. Locate the app in your drawer, long-press it, and select ‘Send to desktop.’ This will add the icon on your home screen. After that, you can rearrange it wherever you like.
2. Unhide the Settings app
The fact that you can’t find the missing app icon in your app drawer indicates that it’s either hidden, deactivated, or removed. It could be one of the hidden apps on your launcher, as most launchers allow you to hide apps from showing up on your mobile. So, if you’ve already hidden apps, please search the hidden folder for the Settings app.
If you’re not familiar with it, it’s simple to find on your launcher. Here is how:
- To access the launcher menu, long-press anywhere on your home screen.
- Select Desktop Settings or Launcher Settings from the drop-down menus.
- You should now see the launcher settings; navigate through them to discover an option to hide apps. If you accidentally hide the Settings app, you should be able to unhide it from there.
- To view your hidden apps, simply slide up with 2 fingers’ on the TECNO and Infinix launchers.
3. Check the Freezer/Disabled apps.
As previously said, you may have inadvertently disabled or frozen the missing app, which is why it is no longer visible on your home screen. However, disabling/freezing an app does not imply removing it, so you can always re-enable it as needed.
- Go to Settings > Apps & Notifications > Notifications. View all apps.
- At the top of the screen, you’ll notice a drop-down menu labeled ‘All apps.’ Tap it and then choose ‘Disabled apps.’
- If the missing app is among those that have been deactivated, press it and then click ‘Enable’ at the bottom of the screen.
- To begin, long-press anywhere on the home screen and select ‘Desktop Setting.
- Make sure ‘Freezer’ is turned on in the ‘Other settings’ menu. Then return to your home screen.
- Tap the ‘Freezer’ icon from your home screen.
- If you identify Settings as one of the missing apps, tap it and click ‘OK’ at the bottom of the screen to unfreeze it. The app should now be visible on your screen.
4. Reset your Launcher
If the Settings app is still installed but not shown in your launcher, your launcher may be malfunctioning. Such problems are frequently resolved by resetting it. However, your desktop layout and other settings will be lost, but you may always start over.
- Go to Settings > Apps & Notifications > Notifications. View all apps.
- Look for and select your launcher from the list. For example, TECNO’s default launcher is the HiOS Launcher.
- Select Storage & cache on the screen after tapping your launcher.
- Finally, tap Clear storage to clear the browser’s cache.
- You should now be able to see all of your apps. Begin by adding the Settings icon to your home screen.
How to get back the Settings icon on iOS?
1. Restore hidden home screens
With the addition of App Library in iOS 14, iPhone users can now conceal an entire page or pages from their home screen. These assist you in decluttering your home screen by displaying all of the apps in the App Library. So, if you’ve previously hidden a page from the home screen, the lost Settings you’re looking for could be there.
Another advantage of hiding home screen pages in iOS 14 is that freshly installed apps will not appear on your screen. They will be relocated to a new folder under the App Library called “Downloads.” If that’s the case, all you have to do to get the lost apps back is unhide the hidden page.
Here’s how it works:
- On your iPhone, launch the Home Screen Editor.
- Mark the unmarked pages by clicking on the page dots.
- When you’re finished, tap Done. You should be able to see your missing Settings app by now.
2. Re-add Settings to the home screen
Restoring hidden pages on your home screen does not imply you’ll get access to your deleted apps. If you accidentally removed the apps from your home screen before concealing the page, returning it will make no difference and will not bring back the app you’re looking for.
In that scenario, the easiest thing to do is restore the lost app from the App Library to your home screen. On iOS 14 and later, follow these steps:
- Swipe to the left on your home screen until you reach the App Library.
- Then, navigate through the app folders to discover the missing app you want to restore to your home screen.
- Finally, long-press the app icon and drag it to your preferred home screen position. Long-press the app and select ‘Add to home screen’ from the pop-up menu.
3. Reset Home Screen Layout
- Swipe down on the screen to open Spotlight Search > Type settings into the search field and search.
- Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Home Screen Layout > Reset Home Screen Layout > To confirm, tap Reset Home Screen. After you approve, your home screen will be restored to its original app icon arrangement.
4. Restart Your iPhone or iPad
- Hold the Sleep/Wake button down until the slider appears > Drag the slider from left to right to switch off the iPhone/iPad.
- After your iPhone/iPad has been turned off, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until you see the Apple logo.
5. Use the iOS system recovery tool
If none of the aforementioned ways work, you might attempt an iOS system recovery programme – AnyFix. With this tool, you can simply restore your iOS device to its original state, bringing all default apps back to your iPhone screen. Let us see how it goes.
- This application should be downloaded to your computer. Install and run it after downloading.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer with a data cord, and this programme will detect it. Then, proceed to the next step by clicking System Repair.
- Select 50+ iPhone Issues and then press the Start Now button. On the right panel, you’ll discover a list of iPhone system difficulties. (The app disappearing bug isn’t on the list, but this option fixes it.)
- There are three modes available, and you should choose Standard Repair. And you will receive a notice below; please read this note carefully before beginning the repair.
- Following that, this app will assist you in downloading firmware and restoring the iPhone system to normal operation.