Asenqua Tech is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Your Quick Answer:
To retrieve your old Instagram profile picture:
- Access your phone gallery where you initially uploaded the images to your Instagram profile. If the image is missing from the gallery, proceed to the next step.
- Check Google Chrome’s Image Cache by searching for the images. Sometimes, these images might be available in the cache as a backup.
For future backups:
Enable automatic saving of Instagram pictures by following these steps:
- Go to your Instagram Settings.
- Navigate to Accounts > Original Posts.
- Enable all three available options.
This feature will save all uploaded pictures to your gallery as a backup whenever you post them on Instagram.
How To Download Old Instagram Profile Picture:
You’ve many ways to view the old Instagram profile picture. Let’s dive into the methods:
1. Turning On Automatic Saving of Photos
Enable automatic saving to ensure all your Instagram uploads, whether photos or videos, are automatically stored in your gallery without needing an extra click.
Follow these steps to activate automatic saving:
- Go to Instagram Settings: Access your Instagram account and tap the profile picture icon at the bottom right of the home page. Then, click the “Three Horizontal Lines” at the top right of the profile page to reveal a list of options. From there, select “Settings”.
- Choose “Account”: Scroll down on the settings menu and tap “Account”.
- Select “Original Posts”: Among the options listed, choose “Original Posts”. Enable “Save original posts”, “Save posted photos”, and “Save posted videos”.
Once enabled, any posts or story additions you make will be automatically saved in your gallery from that moment forward.
2. Find Previous Profile Pictures from Phone Gallery
When searching for lost profile pictures or old photos, always start with your phone’s gallery – that’s usually the original source. Since you likely uploaded your Instagram profile picture from your gallery, there’s a good chance the old picture is still there.
If you recall the app or website where you edited the image, you might also find it there.
3. Find From Google Cache
Google cache is essentially a storage space for internet activity data, storing information from your earliest online ventures. You can retrieve or view these temporary internet files from the cache or image search, making it possible to recover old pictures.
Here’s how you can find your old Instagram profile picture using Google cache:
Step 1: Launch “Google Chrome” and navigate to Google.com, then head to the image search.
Step 2: Type ‘username Instagram’ in the search bar, replacing ‘username’ with your Instagram profile username.
Step 3: This search will display cached Instagram-related content in the Google image search results, including your old profile picture.
From there, you can save the image or take a partial screenshot of the profile picture section.