Can You Alter Property Division After Your Divorce Is Finalized

Asenqua Tech is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

You might be wondering if you can alter the property distribution in your divorce later on as you move through the legal process. After the divorce has been finalized, you may feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders. Divorce can be stressful. But, it is essential to understand what occurs once the court approves your divorce. A key component of a divorce that is extremely difficult to change once the divorce is finalized is property division. If you want to explore your legal options during a divorce in San Antonio, contact a divorce attorney. 

Can you change your property division after your divorce is finalized?

You have two options for distributing your marital assets during a divorce. You can agree with your spouse on a different technique or allow the judge to use the equitable distribution method.

A list of factors that might impact property distribution must be considered by the court when using the equitable distribution technique. For example, the judge examines the length of the marriage, the physical and mental well-being of each spouse, and whether one spouse will be awarded custody of the family’s kid. After considering these factors, the court determines who will keep which assets. Your marital property may not be divided evenly after equitable distribution.

The Property Division Order Is Final; Make Your Plans Now!

It is essential to prepare ahead of time for your divorce as San Antonio courts are very reluctant to alter property split orders. The court can only change This kind of injunction in highly unusual circumstances. In contrast, courts have the power to modify orders for child support or alimony if there is a significant change in circumstances (such as a substantial change in your income).

Agreeing on asset division during divorce

You need a knowledgeable divorce attorney to work with your spouse to split your property. You and your spouse can have conversations and negotiate support from your attorney. To determine the specifics, he or she could arrange a face-to-face meeting with your spouse and attorney. On the other hand, your attorney might suggest collaborative divorce, divorce mediation, or some other kind of alternative dispute resolution.

You must go to court to decide if you and your spouse cannot agree on splitting your property. Your attorney can advise you on how to make the strongest case possible for distribution in a manner that meets your requirements, as the judge must adhere to the equitable distribution procedure.

Similar Posts